You may feel it in your knees, hips, hands or other joints. If you experience pain like this, for no apparent reason, it is often a sign of arthritis. In fact, arthritis is an inflammation of one or more joints.
In addition to pain there may be some other common symptoms such as swelling and redness around the joint, limited movement in the affected body parts, and stiffness. There are more than 100 different types of arthritis. What is more, arthritis can vary from mild to severe cases.
A doctor can prescribe medication or you can take over-the-counter pain relievers. However, you can also try some of these home remedies.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is rich in minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorus. This is why, it is useful in relieving joint pain. Moreover, it helps remove the buildup of toxins in the joints and connective tissues.
- Take a cup of warm water.
- Mix one teaspoon each of apple cider vinegar and honey in it.
- Drink this solution daily in the morning as it gives an alkalizing effect.
Another common ingredient that can help treat arthritis is ginger. It has natural anti-inflammatory properties.
- Dry grind a mixture of 6 teaspoons of dried ginger, 6 teaspoons of caraway seed powder and 3 teaspoons of black pepper powder. Take half a teaspoon of this mixture along with water, three times a day.
- If you apply ginger oil on the affected area on a regular basis, can reduce pain, inflammation and stiffness.
- Eating raw ginger on a regular basis can help to alleviate pain by improving blood circulation. Simply peel and slice fresh ginger and eat it along with each meal.
Massaging with mustard oil is considered excellent for getting rid of arthritis pain and inflammation. This oil works as a natural ointment and stimulates blood flow.
- Heat some mustard oil until it is slightly warm. If there is swelling, you can mix an equal amount of onion juice, too. Rub it gently over the painful joint. Then cover the joint with plastic wrap and apply warm towels. Repeat this remedy daily before going to bed for best results.
- You can also use a small amount of eucalyptus oil. Or, mix wintergreen oil and eucalyptus oil together and rub it on the joint. For this remedy, you do not need to apply hot compresses.
Turmeric can reduce inflammation. It contains curcumin that possesses anti-inflammatory properties. It is particularly good when dealing with rheumatoid arthritis.
- You can take 500 mg to 1,000 mg turmeric capsules three times per day.
- You can also drink fresh turmeric juice, or a glass of warm milk mixed with one teaspoon of turmeric powder daily before going to bed.
5. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is a good source of magnesium. Magnesium helps regulate the pH levels in the body. It is essential to balance the pH levels because certain inflammatory diseases such as arthritis are caused by high acidity levels in the body.
- Mix Epsom salt and fresh lemon juice in equal amounts to half a cup of warm water. Take one teaspoon of the mixture twice a day, one in the morning and one at night.
- You can also add two cups of Epsom salt to warm bath water and soak in it.
Cinnamon can be used to relieve arthritis pain. It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties .
- Mix one-half teaspoon of cinnamon powder and one tablespoon of honey in a cup of warm water and drink it every morning on an empty stomach. Do this every day for several days.
- You can also make a paste of cinnamon and honey and massage it gently on the painful area.
7. Fish Oil
- Simply consume one to two teaspoons of fish oil daily.
- Taking fish oil supplements in the morning on an empty stomach reduces morning stiffness.
Along with supplements, you should also eat cold-water fish and other natural products like flax seeds, as they are high in omega-3 fatty acids.
Alfalfa is another herb that can be used by people who suffer from arthritis because it is rich in minerals and helps regulate pH levels.
- You can make a healthy cup of tea using alfalfa seeds. Simply add half or one teaspoon of the seeds to a cup of boiling water. Let it simmer for 20 to 30 minutes with a lid on and then strain it. Drink this twice a day for two to three weeks to reduce inflammation.
- You can also take alfalfa capsules, which are readily available in the market.
- Eat eight to 10 cherries per day. You can use canned, frozen or fresh cherries depending upon the season.
- You can also drink cherry syrup. Boil some cherries in water for a few minutes until it creates a strong, sweet syrup. Drink this daily for a few months.
Borage seed oil has anti-inflammatory properties and can help relieve various symptoms of arthritis.
- Regularly massage borage seed oil onto the affected area to help heal tender and swollen joints.
- You can also drink one teaspoon of borage seed oil daily for pain relief. Borage seed oil is safe and will not cause any harm, however do not ingest borage seeds or other parts of the plant.