Do you suffer from restless legs syndrome? This curious condition has puzzled researchers for decades and there is little explanation for why some people simply can’t keep still at night.
These are the possible causes for RLS :
• Inability to process dopamine properly
• Other chronic diseases
• Iron deficiencies
However, new studies have looked a little more closely at the possible causes for RLS. RLS is often associated with other chronic conditions, like chronic fatigue, diabetes, and peripheral neuropathy, so researchers decided to examine the link between these other conditions and RLS.
What they found was rather surprising. According to the researchers, because some of these other diseases and conditions are related to immune disorders caused by inflammation, inflammation could also be a trigger for restless leg syndrome.
What is more, researchers found 38 diseases and conditions highly-related to RLS. Ninety-five percent of these were related to excessive inflammation in the body.
• Inflammation could trigger iron deficiencies that lead to RLS
• Immune responses to imbalanced bacteria levels in the intestines could trigger inflammation that lead to RLS
• Altered genetic host defense mechanisms may lead to excessive inflammation which could trigger RLS
Curing inflammation and RLS
Based on this theory, individuals with RLS can eliminate RLS episodes by controlling inflammation. This can be done in three ways.
By eliminating sources of inflammation from food and medications RLS can be controlled. Inflammatory foods include:
• Omega-6 fats
• Processed foods
• Refined carbohydrates
• Trans fats
2. Take anti-inflammatory supplements as this will help you calm any existing inflammation as well as reduce the inflammatory effect of newly consumed foods. The best supplements for reducing inflammation and stopping RLS include:
• B vitamins (12, 9, and 6)
• Vitamin A
• Vitamin E
3. Eat anti-inflammatory foods and make sure that you have a wide variety of sources of inflammation-fighters in your diet. These foods will help you control inflammation and eliminate RLS symptoms. The following foods are well-known inflammation-fighters:
• Fatty fish
• Leafy greens