The extreme exposure of the skin to different environmental factors can damage its color and structure. So, environmental pollution, overexposure to sun, medical condition, stress, dry skin, chemical cosmetic products or poor lifestyle habits can lead to dull and dark skin.
However, there are natural solutions that will lighten and brighten your skin naturally and will save you time and money.
Top 10 products for brighter and lighter skin
Yogurt provides many beneficial nutrients for the skin. It contains lactic acid that has bleaching qualities. You can use the following method for all skin types.
- Firstly, gently rub some plain yogurt directly on the skin. Let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse it off with water. Practice this method for a few weeks and you will notice significant change.
- Secondly, you can combine 1 tsp of yogurt with half a tsp of honey. Apply the mixture on the face and neck. Let it stay on for 10-15 minutes and then rinse it with water. Do this treatment on daily basis in order to improve the skin tone.
- Thirdly, combine a little lemon juice, some oatmeal and yogurt and make a paste. Apply the paste as a face mask. This mask will make your skin supple and moisturized.
Oranges are rich in vitamin C, one of the most important ingredient in skin care. Their bleaching qualities can lighten your skin tone. So, a regular intake of fresh orange juice can improve the texture of your skin. For skin lightening use the oranges in the following ways:
- Mix 2 tsps. of freshly squeezed orange juice and some turmeric powder. Mix it well and apply it on your face and neck before you go to bed. You can also apply it on the legs and hands. After 20-30 minutes wash it off. Do the treatment on daily basis.
- Dry some orange peels and grind them into powder. Mix 1 tsp of them with 1 tsp of plain yogurt and make a paste. Apply it on your face and let it stay for 15-20 minutes. Rinse it off with water. This method will help you lighten spots and marks on your face. One or two treatments a week are enough but no more than that.
3. Gram Flour
Gram flour is an excellent ingredient for lightening of the skin. This remedy will remove the excess oil from your skin and it will keep the natural moisture of your skin.
- Combine some gram flour with a small amount of water in order to make a thick paste.
- Apply it on the face, legs and hands.
- Let it on until it dries then rinse it off with water.
Honey bleaches and moisturizes the skin. Actually, dry skin is the most common reason for uneven skin tone. Its antibacterial qualities will remove the age spots and acne scars.
- Apply some honey on your face, let in on for a few minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water. This will help you remove dead skin cells thus providing you a bright and fresher look than before. Once a day would be enough.
- A combination of 1 tsp of honey and some lemon juice, 1 tsp of milk powder, ½ tablespoon of almond oil is a powerful skin-lightening mask. Let it on your skin for 10-15 minutes and then rinse it with cold water. Practice this treatment every other day.
The acidic content in lemons works as a natural bleaching agent and the abundance of vitamin C promotes new cell growth. Lemons are rich in antioxidants that are very good for skin complexion.
- Dip a cotton ball in freshly squeezed lemon juice and apply it on your face. You can also cut a lemon and directly rub it over the affected skin. Let it stay for at least one hour and then rinse it off with water. Once a day will be enough. Although very simple, this method will definitely lighten your skin and prevent the development of scars.
- Combine 3 tsps. of lemon juice with 1 tsp of turmeric powder. Apply it on your face and let it stay for an hour. Wash your face with water. Practice this treatment once a day.
- Mix 1 tsp of lemon juice, milk powder and honey. Apply the mixture on the skin and leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Then wash it off.
Note: Make sure there are no open wounds at the moment of appliance of these remedies. This is because the acid in the lemon juice can cause pain in the open wounds or it may not be suitable for sensitive skin.
6. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera successfully heals hyperpigmentation and restores your original skin color. In fact, hyperpigmentation is one of the main reasons for uneven skin tone. What is more, Aloe Vera regenerates cells and builds up the damaged tissues. The following remedy will help you lighten dark spots and improve the overall look.
- Peel the outer layers of the Aloe Vera leaf. Squeeze the substance from it.
- Apply the gel onto your skin.
- Let it stay on for about half an hour and then rinse it off with water.
- Practice this at least twice a day for two weeks.
You can substitute an Aloe Vera plant with an Aloe Vera gel bought at the market.
Papaya is a common ingredient in many beauty treatments that are used for skin lightening. It contains natural bleaching properties and the nutrients that it possesses make your skin glowing.
- Take the inside part of the papaya fruit and rub your skin with it. Let the skin dry and then wash it with water. Practice this treatment on daily basis and it will give you a nice glow to your skin.
- Combine a mashed ripe papaya with a cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Apply this mask on your face and neck. Let it dry for half an hour and then rinse it off with cold water. Do this once a week and you will see the needed results.
Turmeric improves skin complexion by building up the melanin content and maintaining the skin tone. What is more, it possesses antioxidant and antiseptic qualities that will improve the overall health of your skin.
- Mix some milk cream and turmeric powder until you make a thick paste. Apply it on your face. Leave it on to dry and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this regularly and you will get the satisfying results.
- Combine 2 tsps. of gram flour, 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Apply it on your face and let it dry for 20-25 minutes. Scrub it off and wash your skin with lukewarm water.
Cucumber firms your skin and provids a light skin tone. Moreover, cucumber cools your skin. It is convenient for all skin types.
- Slice a cucumber and place it on the dark skin areas that need lightening. Let it on for a few minutes. After you remove the cucumber, wash your skin with lukewarm water. Practice this treatment twice a day.
- Mince a cucumber and add some honey to make a spot-reducing mask. Apply it on your face and neck. Let it on for 15-20 minutes and then wash it with cold water. For more optimal results, do this twice a day.
- Mix 1 tsp of cucumber and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Apply it on your face and let it dry for 15-20 minutes. Wash it off with water. Do this once a day.
Oatmeal will exfoliate your skin,and provide it with a soft and supple look.
- Combine oatmeal and tomato juice and apply the combination on your face. Let it on for 20 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water. Rub your face gently so that the oatmeal removes the dead skin cells. Practice this on daily basis.
- Also, you can mix 1 tsp of oatmeal powder, a few drops of lemon juice and a pinch of turmeric. After you make a thick paste, apply it on the face. When dried, rinse it off with water. Do this every day.