The fact is that all the sunscreens are among the most toxic products we use and apply to our skin. But do not worry, there is a solution.
You can make your own natural sunscreen and feel calm when you apply it.
In the natural and holistic skincare, many carrier oils have natural SPF i.e. sun protector factor. Of the many carrier oils bear in mind to use the coconut oil to make your own sun protection cream.
The measurement of the SPF in a product is done in a way that it measures the level of protection against the UVB rays also known as the burning rays.
The SPF range from 1 which is very low to 50 which is very high. According to Anthony J. O’Lenick, he in his book “Oils of Nature” says that the oils that have high natural SPF are raspberry seed oil graded as 28 to 50 and the carrot oil which is 38-40.
On the other hand, the coconut oil, jojoba oil and also sesame oil are from 4 to 10 so if you use only the oils that shall not provide enough protection.
But there is always an option. You can add zinc oxide to one of the carrier oil, and that will give you the sunscreen you need, and that will offer you the needed protection against the UVB and UVA (aging rays).
Remember that you can not make a precise measurement of the protection your homemade sunscreen can provide, that is why you need be safe about the amount of time you expose yourself to the sun.
The zinc oxide must be uncoated and not from nano-particle grade. Bear in mind to choose the high quality of zinc oxide that is formulated for the cosmetic industry.
Just to be sure wear a dust mask and that is how you will avoid to inhale the dust from the zinc oxide. This addition of minerals can lead to have white hue on your skin as it can not absorb within the layers of your skin.
The recipe that is below is safe for everyone to use. However, make sure keep it away from your children, just so they do not unintentionally or intentionally ingest it.
With adding beeswax, your sunscreen will have properties that will be water repellent. It is up to you, what essential oil you choose to use. However, bear in mind to not use the citrus oils.
The citrus oils are actually the worst choice for this homemade remedy because they are phototoxic. This means that these above mentioned essential oils can cause burns.
You should consider the carrot seed oil it has earthy, natural, woody scent. You can find all the ingredients at the local food store or search them online.
Recipe for Homemade Coconut Oil Sunscreen
You can choose the essential oils (peppermint, lavender, vanilla and rosemary).
- Carrot seed essential oil.
- Red raspberry seed oil– 1 tsp. Or around 20-30 drops.
- Coconut oil– 1/4 cup.
- Zinc oxide powder (optional)– 1 to 2 tbsp.
- Shea Butter– 1/4 cup.
- Beeswax Granules– 2 tbsp.
- Jojoba or Sesame oil– 1/8 cup.
How to Make the Sunscreen.
1. First, you need to take a double boiler, if you do not have one, you can use a pan on a very low heat. Put the coconut oil, shea butter, jojoba or sesame oil and beeswax and melt everything together.
Bear in mind that the beeswax shall take longer to melt.
2. When everything melts, remove it from the heat and in a room temperature let the mixture to cool. If you decided to put zinc oxide, now you have to stir it, however, be careful not to make a lot of dust while stirring.
It is alright to have a few lumps because eventually, they will break when you whip the butter.
3. Put the mixture in the fridge and leave it for 15 to 30 minutes. It should start to set up, but at the same time, it should be soft enough so you can whip it.
4. Take out the mixture and use a hand mixer or stand mixer and start to whip it. Make sure to drizzle in the carrot seed oil, essential oil, and red raspberry seed oil and continue to whip until you have a fluffy and light mixture.
5. Store the mixture in a glass container, and make sure put it in the fridge between uses. You can use this homemade natural sunscreen as you would use a regular commercial sunscreen.
How many times you apply it depends only on your exposure to water and activity.