We already know how healthy papaya is, but did you know that the leaves are quite powerful when it comes to healing uses.
Papaya leaves are not as tasty as the fruit; as a matter of fact, they are bitter. This bitter taste comes from the high amounts of phytonutrients which give this part of the plant their therapeutic benefits.
The nutrients found in papaya leaves are indeed incredible. They contain phenolic compounds, along with papain and alkaloids, which act as strong antioxidants and boost the immune system.
The combination of papain and chymopapain helps in digesting proteins more effectively and it can also help with digestive disorders.
Papaya Leaves are Good for Diabetics
- The leaves are effective in lowering glucose.
- The antioxidants in the leaves can reduce complications of diabetes, including fatty liver disease, oxidative stress, and kidney damage.
- Extracts of the papaya leaves can speed up the time it takes for the wound to heal, thanks to the antioxidant and antibacterial properties.
The Anti-Dengue Leaf
Dengue fever or break-bone fever is a fatal viral disease transmitted by the aedes mosquito. The symptoms are: headaches, extreme lethargy, high fever, and severe muscle and joint pain.
Although there have been millions of cases of dengue in the world, there is still no drug-based treatment for it.
However, you can treat the patient with papaya leaf juice. To make the papaya leaf juice to treat dengue you need to do the following:
- Gather some fresh papaya leaves. The younger leaves found at the bottom of the tree are ideal for this recipe.
- Make sure that you get the leaves from a papaya plant that bears fruit since some plants may look like the papaya tree but are actually toxic.
- Wash the leaves and remove those that are not completely green.
- Remove the fibrous stem as well.
- Place the leaves in your juicer and process them. If you don’t have juicer, crush the leaves and squeeze the juice out.
You can get about a tablespoon of papaya leaf juice from one crushed leaf. Drink the juice twice a day or every six hours on an empty stomach. You can dilute it with water and you will see the results within a few days.